For 137 years, the Aberdeen Area Chamber of Commerce has been leading the way to a better Aberdeen region. We do this by convening innovative leaders, collaborating with like-minded organizations, advocating for positive change, and helping small businesses grow. We are guided by four key principles as defined by the Board of Directors and outlined in the 2021 Program of Work:
The Chamber will deliver programs and provide activities that increase and retain Chamber membership and add measurable value to Chamber membership investments.
- Coordinate seminars and/or webinars that help members adapt post-covid and to improve overall business performance
- Offer meetings and events in person and through zoom to allow for greater participation
- Expand the number of EDGE events to assist members with employee retention
- Enhance communication of Chamber benefits, programs, meetings and events through social media platforms for maximum reach and effectiveness
- Conduct and continually improve events, programs and communications to maximize member benefits and increase attendance.
We will champion our community’s successes and support issues and opportunities that will improve our community’s quality of life while enhancing the growth and development of our region.
- Assist in the development of a strategic plan that encompasses efforts of the Chamber and other community organizations in order to better serve the Aberdeen area.
- Work with regional educators to develop and retain a workforce that contributes to the local and regional economy.
- Implement events and awareness to promote our manufacturing base during October 2021Assist in programs and efforts aimed at addressing racial and diversity tension within the community
- Continue support of regional opportunities including 1 Million Cups, the Malchow Plaza, Big Idea Competition, Leadership South Dakota, etc.
- Develop new Aberdeensd.com website and further implement new Aberdeen branding
- Expand shop local and #LIVELOCAL57401 marketing strategies and efforts
- Work with area Human Resource professionals on recruitment, relocation and engagement of new workforce.
- Continue support of programs and initiatives that result in improving the health of area citizens and that instill community pride
As a significant voice for business, we support local and legislative policies and practices conducive for a thriving business community and local economy and oppose those that are not.
- Keep membership educated and informed on issues, particularly during South Dakota’s legislative Session, via Progress articles, email announcements, Legislative Cracker Barrels and calls or meetings with legislative and national delegation
- Work with the Advisory Committee to monitor issues and activities at the local, state and federal government levels
- Actively support issues and initiatives that advance the most pro-business environment possible
We continuously work to evaluate our organization and its events, efforts, programs, and committees to meet the needs of our membership and the community.
- Execute a comprehensive retention program that improves existing efforts and increases one-on-one engagement with members
- Redesign Chamber website to make it more user friendly and easier to navigate
- Work to remodel current office space to allow for better workflow and a virtual boardroom that can be used by the community
- Continue evaluation of the dues structure and membership benefits
- Implement quarterly membership surveys on advocacy committee issues, membership benefits, etc.